[T3] Fi Heads

Dennis Stiefel dlstiefel at dekalbk12.org
Thu Jan 30 13:19:21 PST 2014

The other difference is for 1972-73 heads (maybe earlier ones too) where the
Type 3 heads have vent ports that connect to the oil bath air filter.
On these engines, you can see the holes in the engine tin for where the hose
should connect to the vent ports.  The vent port comes into the head just
inside of the valve covers and allows clean air to pulled into the
crankcase.

Jacob

I found this out a couple of years ago when I started the engine overhaul on
mine. My local VW parts guy had to search high and low for a pair of heads.
He couldn't find any used ones and had to go with a pair of new ones that
had the place for the temp senor and bosses for the vents.  He also dose
machine work like case and head work so he drilled and threaded the bosses
out and screwed  brass nipples in for the hoses to hook up to.  How good of
quality the heads are I have no idea but it was all I could get at the time.
They were like $430 for the pair so not cheap.

Dennis Stiefel
72 Fastback FI MT
Rainsville, AL