[T3] Fi Heads

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Jan 30 14:59:02 PST 2014

On 30 Jan 2014 at 11:51, Adam Douglass wrote:

> I am reading over the discussion about heads. Do FI motors have special FI heads?
>
> I am assuming, being that my car has a GEX rebuild and not the original engine, that my heads are not FI heads. How can I tell?

The FI engines have a tapped temp sensor boss near the #4 spark plug.
Type 3 engines also do NOT have the dowel between the intake ports
that dual port Beetle engines have.

'72-3 Type 3 FI engines also came with breather ports into the rocker
boxes, near the #3 &2 spark plugs. I don't think Beetle engines ever
got those breathers. Those heads are hard to find.

If your GEX engine is carbed, it most likely has either beetle heads
or 68-71 Type 3 FI heads, but nothing is certain until you look at
them and see what features they have. The VW part # (if they are VW
parts) doesn't tell you anything, because that's just the casting
number, and VW could have made any head from that casting.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org