[T3] type3-vwtype3.org Digest, Vol 40, Issue 2

Phil Hof phil.hof at ostronic.org
Thu Jan 2 16:14:17 PST 2014

Re: Sunroof
This is a MAJOR undertaking.  I had ISP West do this on my ’71, and they estimated about 40-50 hours, plus about $5-600 of parts.  I lucked out and found a late sunroof clip and moving panel relatively cheap and local.  I am posting a few pics soon about the whole restoration job on the Samba, but it was very involved to do it right.  They removed the roof from the A-pillars to the C-pillars, welded in the clip (inner and outer roof), and welded in the four drains, then sealed, primed, and painted all the nooks and crannies.  This is a special car to me, so it was worth the roughly $3-4K cost of the change.  And this was the delta cost on top of the full repaint as part of a restoration.  It took a lot of skill and knowledge.  ISP West has both, and they make steel parts to replace some of the old plastic parts it originally came with.
-Phil
> ------------------------------
> Message: 5
> Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2014 16:22:13 +0000 (UTC)
> From: alluringeyewear at comcast.net
> To: type3 at vwtype3.org
> Subject: Re: [T3] sunroof installation
>
> Hello all and Happy New Year! I would like to weld a factory sunroof from a '69 Fasty onto my '73 Fasty. Does anyone know how much work that would entail and have any photos or information that could be helpful. I am concerned about cutting my roof supports out. Do I weld the roof supports from the donor car to my roof supports? Also shouldn't there be some sort of drain for the sunroof as well? Any info or photos would be a great help. Thanks Doug '73 Fasty FI "Leilani"
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Re: Engine out
One of the things you can do for yourself  is really scrub the sheet metal undersides above the engine and tranny.  Dirt falling in your eyes is a major irritant, and this will solve that problem.  Use a stiff brush and get it shiny or at least clean.
Check all hoses (brake, heater, charcoal canister, fuel, etc), and also your tranny mounts.  If IRS, check the diagonal arm bushings and the CV joints (seeing axles the axle boots).
-Phil