[T3] BBbbrrrrrr! (Jim Adney)

Phil Hof phil.hof at ostronic.org
Wed Jan 8 20:41:05 PST 2014

I believe the misnomer “global warming” has done a lot to damage the message about greenhouse gases.  The issue is trapped energy.  Yes, that means an average temperature increase, but that added energy also means more violent storms (which can be colder despite— or because of-- the increased energy) and more severe droughts, for example.  “Energy trapping” or even the more common “greenhouse effect” would have been better.  The science is established, and even the link to man-made activity.  But poor description in the media can confuse many into thinking a cold snap refutes the greenhouse effect. Oh, the sorry state of science education in our schools…
-Phil