[T3] Early Automatic (5 bolt flange) in Late Car

Adam Douglass one4house at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 15 11:05:23 PST 2014

I know that this was brushed over a bit, but I wanted to get some answers to some specific questions. The transmission that I have a lead on sounds like it might be a 1st style transmission with the 5 bolt output flanges.

The gentleman who has it knows nothing about type 3 VWs. That is why I passed the first time on this transmission. Today I asked if it has 5 bolts on the output shafts and he said, "I think it does. You will know more when you look at it. I know nothing about them."

1. Can the shifting vacuum modules interchange? I ask because I now have a module from my 70 and 2 modules from the early type 4. I fear that they are going to be useless with the early type 3 auto.

2. I am assuming that they fit the same? Just wanted to ask to be sure.

3. The same axle shafts work between all of the units? I have new CV shafts that I installed. I just wanted to make sure there were no differences.

That is all I can think of for now. If there are any other tips I need, it would be greatly appreciated. I am supposed to drive up and look at, and pick up, the unit on Saturday. That gives me a few days to over-think it. :)

Adam