[T3] type3-vwtype3.org Digest, Vol 46, Issue 21

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Jul 23 21:48:06 PDT 2014

On 23 Jul 2014 at 14:25, Fiesta Cranberry wrote:

> He is wondering if the problem could be caused by using the wrong
> pushrods.  He said he used chromoly, not aluminum, and he thinks they
> may have pounded the lifters too hard instead of flexing.

The best pushrods to use in most engines are the OE style, with alum
bodies. This is because the thermal expansion is a better match to
what the cylinders do as the engine warms up. The cylinders get much
hotter, but the alum pushrods have a larger expansion coefficient, so
they match pretty well. The CrMo ones don't.

The steel pushrods may be a better choice for hi lift cams and double
valve springs in very high performance engines, where the greater
strength of the CrMo pushrods may lend an advantage, but you'd have
to do your own research on what the cold valve clearances should be
once you change any of the material in the valve train.

Whether this could have caused your problem, I really don't know.
You're on really uncertain ground here.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org