[T3] MPGs??

Dennis Stiefel dlstiefel at dekalbk12.org
Fri Jul 25 05:47:06 PDT 2014

These cars were geared for national speed limits that were lower.
On Jul 24, 2014 7:37 PM, "Jim Adney" <jadney at vwtype3.org> wrote:

> On 24 Jul 2014 at 21:16, Dennis Stiefel wrote:
>
> > I have been checking my gas mileage here lately and it's been lower
> > than
> > expected.  When I filled up a copula of weeks ago I got about 23 MPG
> today
> > when I filled up today it was 22.  This was mostly freeway and open
> > high
> way
> > driving with an average speed around 70 MPH.
>
> For a '72 FI at 70 mi/hr that's pretty typical. If you want better,
> let up on the gas pedal. 65 helps and 60 makes a big difference.
>
> --
> *******************************
> Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org
> Madison, Wisconsin, USA
> *******************************
I usually just drive the car around town so on a typical day she hardly gets
over 55.  Sounds like I need to check the MPGs under these conditions.  I
average 70 on those trips because on certain stretches of the interstate I
was on if you don't drive at least that fast you could get run over.  When
my father drove it to work back in the 70s with the stock set up he said he
got about 28 but that was 2 lane high way where the speed limit was no
higher than 55.  I talked to some people who had a 70 notch this pasted
weekend.  It had an automatic with some kind of duel carb set up and claimed
31 MPGs but they did say they averaged 65 to 60 on their speed.  Still 31
sounded a little high to me but I guess not imposable.