[T3] MPGs??

Soren Jacobsen snj at blef.org
Fri Jul 25 11:43:22 PDT 2014

On Jul 25, 2014, at 5:47 AM, Dennis Stiefel <dlstiefel at dekalbk12.org> wrote:

> I usually just drive the car around town so on a typical day she hardly gets
> over 55.  Sounds like I need to check the MPGs under these conditions.  I
> average 70 on those trips because on certain stretches of the interstate I
> was on if you don't drive at least that fast you could get run over.  When
> my father drove it to work back in the 70s with the stock set up he said he
> got about 28 but that was 2 lane high way where the speed limit was no
> higher than 55.  I talked to some people who had a 70 notch this pasted
> weekend.  It had an automatic with some kind of duel carb set up and claimed
> 31 MPGs but they did say they averaged 65 to 60 on their speed.  Still 31
> sounded a little high to me but I guess not imposable.

Speed makes a huge difference in economy.  I generally cruise at 55MPH in my 1965 Variant, and my mileage hovers around 31 at that speed.  I've had a few tanks hit 34MPG, but keep in mind that this is the sort of thing you have to average out over an extended period of time.  You'll never get the tank filled up to exactly the same point.  I have a couple of things working in my favor on that front: 1) I almost always fill up at the same gas station, and the same pump at that station.  2) I have an early car, so I can see into the tank.  I can visualize the fuel level quite well when it gets near the top, so I burp the tank until it gets to my usual fill level.  I guess you 68-up guys just fill until the pump automatically stops?

Soren