[T3] MPGs??

Dennis Stiefel dlstiefel at dekalbk12.org
Sat Jul 26 09:03:25 PDT 2014

That may be true, Jim, but we seemed forever to be putting gas in that Yaris
we rented for the invasion!  I suppose it was getting about 30 mpg US
highway, but we could have done the whole trip on a couple of diesel fills
on the Golf!

I used to get worse mpg on the FI Fastback than the twin carb Variant - long
trips gave about 30 mpg Imp on FI as compared with 33 mpg Imp on the carb.
(times by about 0.8 to get 24 and 26 mpg US).  I guess it felt right to
drive the Fastback FI with a bit more panache!

Dave
UK VW Type 3&4 Club
===================

Interesting, My wife's 2010 Toyota Corolla gets 34MPG and is a slightly
bigger car than the Yaris. But being a rental who knows what it's been
through.  Golfs are one of the few compact diesels we can get here in the
US. I've asked various people in the new car world with various manufactures
why most cars don't have a diesel option here and they all tell me it's
because of the strict NOx standards the EPA has. I also suspect it's the
perception the public has of them is an issue as well.  Some of the diesel
cars that were sold here from the late 70s to the mid-80s didn't help that.
On top of that if our gas prices were like yours folks may be a little more
open to diesel too but diesel fuel here cost more than gas so another strike
it has against it here.

Dennis Stiefel
72 Fastback FI MT
71 STD. Beetle