[T3] oils

Fiesta Cranberry fiestacranberry at gmail.com
Fri Jul 25 13:50:30 PDT 2014

Hi there
You may have the reason for this apparent valve train failure in the very
oil you have "stashed."  Modern oils are fundamentally better in many ways
and for many reasons, their lack of ZDDP notwithstanding.
But, Pennzoil, at least the old "stash," was, (and, perhaps still is), an
ash based oil...never recommended by any air cooled manufacturers back in
the day.   Quaker State, Valvoline, Castrol and Kendall, (and a few
others), were the oils for air cooleds from VW to Porsche.   While the old
Pennzoil "might" have had adequate ZDDP, the break down of ash-based oils
at normal air cooled operating temperatures make it a dicey choice at best.
 I'd get rid of that stash ASAP.
Hope this helps.
Best regards,
FE Meek

Hi all,
Sorry, I made a boo boo.  It wasn't Pennzoil, it was Castrol [?]

Lori & The Baroness

--
"I wrestled with reality for 36 years, and I'm happy to say I've finally
won out over it."