[T3] AAR Adjustment?

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon Jun 2 18:09:29 PDT 2014

On 2 Jun 2014 at 16:36, Max Welton wrote:

> What is the correct adjustment procedure for an ARR?

There really isn't any correct adjustment proceedure. You can adjust
it to try to get the smoothest transition from cold to hot idle, but
keep in mind that the AAR has absolutely NO EFFECT once you're off
idle.

Way too many people get sidetracked, thinking that the key to some
other problem is to get the AAR "just right."

> Also, I found that on mine, the shaft does not move smoothly and
> sticks in the position shown. When the spring reaches 114ºF (heat-gun
> and IR thermometer test) the shaft snaps to the closed position
> instead of moving slowly as I expected.

That's extremely common. The pot metal housing has warped, and your
transition will never be smooth until this is fixed. I rebuild these
to fix this problem for $25.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org