[T3] Front End Shakes

Max Welton max_welton_2k at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 9 14:48:20 PDT 2014

I've done this a few times on mine Adam. Exactly the same symptoms you describe.

If you have a Bentley the procedure is in the Front Axle section.

Max Welton
http://www.maxwelton2k.net/

 Subject: Re: [T3] Front End Shakes
 To: type3 at vwtype3.org
 Date: Monday, June 9, 2014, 11:42 AM

 If the upper torsion arms need
 adjusting, you can usually feel that with the
 weight on the wheels.  Pull the top of the tyre
 strongly outwards and then
 push it back.  If there's obvious movement, it can
 usually be adjusted out,
 but you may need to check the bar is properly held by the
 locating screw in
 the dimple.

 If that's all OK, is the steering damper bush OK?  That
 can be the problem
 too, and of course, it's possible the damper has leaked its
 oil.

 Dave
 UK VW Type 3&4 Club