[T3] New Distributor Same Results, 034

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Jun 11 15:58:23 PDT 2014

On 11 Jun 2014 at 7:16, Craigs List wrote:

> Along those lines, I am on my 3rd distributor combination. none of the
> distributor changes have made a difference. I have had a 009 on there, a
> 205L FI distributor and now a 034 SVDA to try and get some relief. All of
> them have acted the same.

The only thing that I can think of that might cause this problem
would be that you're hooking the vacuum advance up to a vacuum port,
like manifold vacuum, that's causing you to be getting vacuum retard
instead. Try leaving the vacuum can disconnected. Time it that way
and try driving it that way.

Most people don't realize that the vacuum advance, on dists that also
have mech adv, is only an economy feature. It does almost nothing,
and what it DOES do is almost totally imperceptable while driving.

If you hook one of those dists up to manifold vacuum, you'll get lots
of advance at idle, which you don't want, but when you open the
throttle, most of that advance will go away, providing a sudden
retard of the spark. It's likely that your carbs don't have an
appropriate vacuum advance port, so you should just forget about vac
adv and use a dist that gives you lots of mech adv. That's why the
009 and the 205L tend to work so well with aftermarket carbs.

All the mech adv dists have a common problem of seizing up the mech
adv mechanism due to lack of lubrication. (A drop a year keeps Jim
Adney away.) I rebuild a LOT of distributors for this cause alone.
You should make SURE that your mech advs are working.

You can check the mech adv with a timing light or by twisting the top
end of the shaft with respect to the bottom end. They should move
smoothly with some spring tension and snap back when released. If
this isn't working, however, it won't cause the symptoms you
describe; it will just be gutless at any rpm much over idle.

Finally, there's almost nothing special that needs to happen in the
dist as you come off idle. Except for the '72 FI dist, they all just
advance slowly as the rpms go up, so I guess I'm saying that there
might be something wrong in the carbs.

Your car doubtless came with FI. All US Type 3s did from '68 to '73.
Your rebuilt engine is a question mark. What cam is in there? It
could be anything. I know almost nothing about carbs, so I'll let
others comment on that topic.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org