[T3] New Distributor Same Results, 034

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Thu Jun 12 09:26:22 PDT 2014

In a message dated 6/12/2014 12:44:27 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
craigslistcsprings at gmail.com writes:

A few questions;

1) Am I the first person in the history of  type 3's to use dellorto carbs
on an automatic?

2) what is the stall  of a type 4 torque converter vs a type 3? Or are they
the  same?

1A) I doubt it.

2A) Depending on the converter, it can be 1850 to 2250 (for  t-2,3,&4).
The list as follows goes T-2-1950 to 2250, T-3 1850 to 1950, and  T-4 1900
to 2000. So you can see they're very similar. But, VW doesn't want  you to
test those rpms for more than 18 seconds at a time, due to the  possibilty
that you can burn up the forward gear clutches. I'm also  adding this note
from VW.
Note; When checking the stall speed take into  account
the fact that it will drop about 125 rpm per 3000
feet of  altitude. It will also drop slightly at high
ambient temperatures, because  cylinder charging is reduced (normal drop is
200 rpm from the 900-950  rpms in neutral at sea level).

One more thing pointed out, is that you want a minimum 700 to 750  rpm in
gear. I hope this helps.

64 T-34 Ghia aka Wolfie
71  Square-vert under  construction