[T3] It's not a bug!

Dennis Stiefel dlstiefel at dekalbk12.org
Wed Jun 25 16:38:09 PDT 2014

For many people there are only two kinds of aircooled VWs: bugs and busses.
I often get asked if my car is a Volvo. You just have to smile  and tell
them what it really is.

As I was filling up the tank to leave  the Invasion, the guy next to me,
driving some sort of big pickup,  complemented me on my nice Type 3. That
was unusual, but it turned out  that he had a bug and a KG, and was very
familiar with the full line of  aircooled VWs. That's not the usual
experience, but I occasionally get  people who stop and look at the car and
tell me that they used to have one  of those.

Same experience here as Jim has. If you've been driving a type 3 long
enough, you're bound to run into this. In fact, you should also keep in mind
many Squareback parts (from the same year) will work on your Fastback. This
alone might help the guy behind the counter, as your Fastback might not be
listed, but the Squareback will. ;-)

When we were coming back from the Missouri Invasion in 2010, we stopped and
got gas in southern Indiana. I had a fellow ask me what it was (he'd never
seen a Notchback before), and I told him what it was. He then told me he had
a  Square, and a Ghia, but had just never seen a Notch before in person.
:O So  there are some people who might have an idea of what kind of car you
own. : )

64 T-34 Ghia aka Wolfie
71  Square-vert under  construction

I use to moon light at advance auto parts when I first started teaching auto
repair and yes a lot of times when you look up something for a type 3 it
will just say squareback in a lot of cases. I guess because it's the most
common of them all.

Dennis Stiefel
72 Fastback FI MT
71 STD. Beetle