[T3] It's not a bug!

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Wed Jun 25 13:53:30 PDT 2014

In a message dated 6/25/2014 4:13:08 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jadney at vwtype3.org writes:

On 25 Jun 2014 at 10:38, Dennis Stiefel wrote:

> If I had  gone to the invasion last week I could of asked this question.
> Maybe  this is a southern US thing not sure but does anybody else have to
>  deal with this. I had to get something for Clementine yesterday at a
part
> store( dot 5 brake fluid because I messed up when I put the new  brake
light
> switches in) and the person said oh it's for that bug. I  kindly said no
it's
> not a bug it's a fastback and left it at that.  This has happens a good
bit
> over the 42 years my family had had  it.

For many people there are only two kinds of aircooled VWs: bugs and
busses. I often get asked if my car is a Volvo. You just have to
smile  and tell them what it really is.

As I was filling up the tank to leave  the Invasion, the guy next to
me, driving some sort of big pickup,  complemented me on my nice Type
3. That was unusual, but it turned out  that he had a bug and a KG,
and was very familiar with the full line of  aircooled VWs. That's not
the usual experience, but I occasionally get  people who stop and look
at the car and tell me that they used to have one  of those.

Same experience here as Jim has. If you've been driving a type 3 long
enough, you're bound to run into this. In fact, you should also keep in mind
many Squareback parts (from the same year) will work on your Fastback. This
alone might help the guy behind the counter, as your Fastback might not be
listed, but the Squareback will. ;-)

When we were coming back from the Missouri Invasion in 2010, we stopped
and got gas in southern Indiana. I had a fellow ask me what it was (he'd never
 seen a Notchback before), and I told him what it was. He then told me he
had a  Square, and a Ghia, but had just never seen a Notch before in person.
:O So  there are some people who might have an idea of what kind of car you
own. : )

64 T-34 Ghia aka Wolfie
71  Square-vert under  construction