[T3] Invasion Prep

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Jun 15 19:27:30 PDT 2014

Okay, did the pre-trip workover on the '71 and here's what I found:

ATF: Okay
Final Drive: Okay
Engine oil: changed
Front axle: Lubed
Valves: all good, except #2 intake maybe .001" loose.

Points looked a bit burned and were closed down quite a bit, although
it had been running okay. I filed and set the points and timing. Now
it seems to run even better. I'm guessing the closed points had
retarded the spark somewhat. I'll have to keep an eye on that. While
I had the points out, I cleaned the old grease off the cam and
rubbing block and added a touch of fresh grease.

Took it out and put a few more highway miles on it just to see if
anything shook down. Nothing did. It drives just fine.

Everything looks so good now that I've actually pulled the clock to
see if I can get it running again. So far, it looks like success
there, too. I may be able to add the late clocks to my list of
rebuilds.

Tomorrow I have to rig an outlet for the GPS. I think I've got almost
everything I need for that, and I'll do it without drilling a new
hole in the dash.

Tuesday will be packing day and wednesday we're off!

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org