[T3] Automatic Shifting

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri May 2 09:21:11 PDT 2014

On 2 May 2014 at 10:05, Craigs List wrote:

> This is all starting to point to a valve body rebuild in my eyes. I have
> had the same problem throughout with a multitude of VMs and 2 different
> automatics. I think I will look into a valve body rebuild as my next course
> of action. What do your rebuild kits cost?

Sounds like you've done all the right things. The rebuild kits are
$75 each and include all the seals and gaskets except for the steel
backed seals, which you probably don't need.

The aftermarket carbs must make a difference, but I have no idea what
difference that might be. VW supplied a different VM for their
factory dual carb/AT setup, so that might be worth looking for, but I
have no idea whether that will help. It's the same part #, but with
NO suffix letter. It's a European model part and was never sold in
the US, so it's going to be hard to find and probably expensive.

Have you tried adjusting the VMs with a pressure gauge? There's a
long adjustment range available, and you might be a long way from
where you ought to be.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org