[T3] Tires

Soren Jacobsen snj at blef.org
Sun May 4 19:25:10 PDT 2014

> On May 4, 2014, at 5:55 PM, Don Robertson <donrob at yachtsales.com> wrote:

> What I find hard to believe is that there is not one major tire maker, such as Michelin, still making our size.  There are literally millions of VW's still on the road all over the world.  The size is the same for Beetles, Karmann Ghias and type 3s.

Actually, Bugs used 5.60-15 tires for a bazillion or so years (I can't remember off the top of my head when they got bigger; definitely 5.60 through 67, though). Late Bugs and sport models were the ones that used 6.00-15 like the T3s. Anyway, 155R15 is closer to 5.60-15, but Bug people tend to run 165s simply because 155s have been even harder to find. However, BF Goodrich makes a 155 now, and it's a real nice tire. Time to downsize our tires instead of going the other direction, perhaps? ;)

Soren