[T3] 72 fastback

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue May 6 21:48:43 PDT 2014

On 6 May 2014 at 20:45, Ethan Fuller wrote:

> I got a 72 fastback and the front right break caliper seems to be ceased and doesn't work. With no break fluid in the cylinder the pads still rub on the rotor. Rub is an understatement.
>
> I was wondering if y'all could point me in the right direction to get a new one or if I could repair it.

Open one bleed valve and see if fluid runs out freely.

If it does not, the problem is the rubber hose leading to that
caliper. Replace that hose. This is something that you should be able
to do yourself if you are reasonably mechanical.

If it does, the problem is that the caliper pistons are sticking. In
that case, the caliper needs to be rebuilt. If they are really stuck
hard, this is probably not something you can not do yourself. In that
case, send the caliper to me to be rebuilt.

I actually recommend rebuilding both calipers, even if only one is
giving trouble now. This just gets them off to a fresh start. I
charge $45 per caliper, plus pads and missing hardware, if needed.
Plus return shipping.

I also have the hoses, but you can probably find those locally. You
are unlikely to find NOS '72-3 calipers anywhere, and the
replacements you might find, or the commercially rebuilt ones, won't
be up to the OE standards.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org