[T3] 72 fastback

Dennis Stiefel dlstiefel at dekalbk12.org
Wed May 7 07:47:53 PDT 2014

On 6 May 2014 at 20:45, Ethan Fuller wrote:

> I got a 72 fastback and the front right break caliper seems to be ceased
and doesn't work. With no break fluid in the cylinder the pads still rub on
the rotor. Rub is an understatement.

> I was wondering if y'all could point me in the right direction to get a
new one or if I could repair it.

Open one bleed valve and see if fluid runs out freely.

If it does not, the problem is the rubber hose leading to that caliper.
Replace that hose. This is something that you should be able to do yourself
if you are reasonably mechanical.

If it does, the problem is that the caliper pistons are sticking. In that
case, the caliper needs to be rebuilt. If they are really stuck hard, this
is probably not something you can not do yourself. In that case, send the
caliper to me to be rebuilt.

I actually recommend rebuilding both calipers, even if only one is giving
trouble now. This just gets them off to a fresh start. I charge $45 per
caliper, plus pads and missing hardware, if needed.
Plus return shipping.

I also have the hoses, but you can probably find those locally. You are
unlikely to find NOS '72-3 calipers anywhere, and the replacements you might
find, or the commercially rebuilt ones, won't be up to the OE standards.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org

Mine done the same thing but it had been setting up for over 20 years.
Anyway Jim got my calipers working like new so I didn't have to worry about
finding another pair of the late style ones.

Dennis Stiefel
72 Fastback FI MT
71 STD. Beetle
67 Ford F-100 (hart of Crown Vic)