[T3] Stick Shift Issues

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Sat May 10 10:08:25 PDT 2014

In a message dated 5/10/2014 11:35:04 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jazfloyd at gmail.com writes:

But yesterday my problem got a lot worse.

I was going up a  hill in Atlanta traffic when the stick shift just seemed
to loose all of  its gear set.  I couldn't get it in first, it felt like the
shifter  wouldn't even go up anywhere past neutral.  There felt like there
were  two gears downwards or something, but I could only get it into what  I
thought was first or second by going where second usually was.  I  couldn't
find reverse when I needed to leave a parking lot and had to get  two people
to help push me out of my spot with the clutch in.

Is  this the shift plate issue, or something worse? Other than  the
synchronization issues downshifting, I haven't had any issues  with
transmission.

The first place I'd look at is the shift coupler. There may or may not be
a cover under the car (center of the pans, between the end of the pan and
the  front subframe mount). I'd look to see if the set screw (trans side) is
still  in place, and tight. Then I'd look at the front side of the coupler,
along  with the pads and thru screw in the coupler.

64 T-34 Ghia aka Wolfie
71  Square-vert under  construction