[T3] Stick Shift Issues

Jaz Jarzewiak jazfloyd at gmail.com
Sat May 10 08:34:38 PDT 2014

Hey everyone.
My 67 Squareback has, for awhile, had issues going into first gear after
leaving the higher gears when I'm stopped at a light or trying to
downshift.  I noticed that second gear wouldn't synchronize quite awhile
ago.  I didn't think much of these things, I figured maybe the shift plate
was a little loose? I would have to take the stick shift, in neutral, all
the way to the right to be able to get into first at starting the car
moving again, or else it wouldn't go in.

But yesterday my problem got a lot worse.

I was going up a hill in Atlanta traffic when the stick shift just seemed
to loose all of its gear set.  I couldn't get it in first, it felt like the
shifter wouldn't even go up anywhere past neutral.  There felt like there
were two gears downwards or something, but I could only get it into what I
thought was first or second by going where second usually was.  I couldn't
find reverse when I needed to leave a parking lot and had to get two people
to help push me out of my spot with the clutch in.

Is this the shift plate issue, or something worse? Other than the
synchronization issues downshifting, I haven't had any issues with
transmission.

Thanks guys,

Jaz Jarzewiak
1967 Squareback "Scone"