[T3] ECU mounting problems

Jessica Chase jesassica at gmail.com
Sat May 3 08:15:24 PDT 2014

My husband and I had to reseat the ECU in our '69 Squareback because we
were getting a water leak.

When unscrewing the ECU from the body of the car, the screws loosened
pretty easily. When re-tightening the screws after reseating, they would
only tighten to a certain point before "clicking" and spinning. Looks like
the holes in the body of the car are stripped (no threads left!) so we can
only tighten the ECU down so much.

If we can't tighten the screws down all the way then I'm worried we'll
either keep getting leaks or that the screws will rattle/vibrate out sooner
than later.

Anyone ever have this problem before?

I have no idea what size the holes are so I wouldn't know what size tap to
get for re-tapping them. Or should we just JB Weld some nuts behind the
mounting holes and use longer screws?

Thanks!
Jessica
<type3-vwtype3.org at lists.vwtype3.org>