[T3] Preserving Parts...

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri Nov 21 13:31:17 PST 2014

On 21 Nov 2014 at 19:28, J. Jonik wrote:

> I have a couple quarts of home heating oil...salvaged from bleeding
> the system from the few times I let the tank go empty.
>
> Is that oil usable to do long term soak storage of injectors or fuel
> pump?  Will it keep internal things from drying up and shrinking?

Probably

> Will it restore parts that have been maybe dry-stored for too long?

In my experience, once the O-rings have dried out past a certain
point, they don't recover. It sure seems like they should, and maybe
I haven't been patient enough, but I find that if they've dried out
for a year or more the only fix is to replace the O-rings. I can
replace the O-rings in the pumps, but not in the injectors.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org