[T3] Shake that front end! Wobble, Wobble, Wobble!

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Mon Oct 6 16:46:08 PDT 2014

No Type 3s don't have 'normal wheel slop', but they can develop it as they
wear.  The front axle is different from a Beetle.

What you describe sounds like the anti-roll bar needs adjustment.  The upper
bar just holds the upper torsion arms together, but gradually they can
become slack due to wear.  There's a sequence to adjust them, but sometimes
the set-screw that is locked into a dimple in the flat end of the bar can
loosen and elongate the dimple, requiring a deeper dimple to be drilled, or
even sometimes a new dimple drilled on the other side.  Otherwise, it's a
perfectly normal adjustment to make.

The Bentley manual explains it in Front Axle Section 8.1

Get someone to wobble the wheels while you look for movement where the upper
torsion arm meets the axle beam.

Dave
UK VW Type 3&4 Club