[T3] Tail Pipes...

J. Jonik j_jonik at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 5 16:29:10 PDT 2014

71 FI T-III...   Tail pipe's gone missing. Got rusted or banged off a while ago...about when we noticed exhaust fume smells.  It fell off, or got knocked off, so cleanly, I didn't notice it missing.  No extra noise or shredded metal or anything.

I have a rusty, but solid, replacement...but the longer pipe of the two that are attached to the muffler is thinner than the one there now...from the '73 engine that long ago replaced the '71.
It LOOKS like it'll fit but I don't want to maybe destroy the existing longer pipe (not the curved tail pipe) and then find the replacement won't fit.  I haven't get tackled the job of separating the curved tail pipe from the longer one.  Rust is serious.  I may destroy something if not careful.

Is a narrower tail pipe assembly from...who knows...a '72 or a '71? adaptable to a '73 muffler?  Only difference SEEMS to be that the long pipe, the one that plugs into the muffler body, is fatter.  What's the benefit of a fatter one? Quieter? Is that all?
OR...do I have to try to find a New Muffler, and tail pipe components, specifically for the '73 engine?