[T3] Common Hardware Sizes and BelMetric

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Wed Oct 22 18:11:10 PDT 2014

You probably wouldn't need to cut down M8 x 20 - they're less than an inch
long!  Actually, bumper mounting bolts are M8 x 18 for big bumpers, and M8 x
15 for pre-'70 (might need a bit of shortening).

Some places you need bolts, others it's machine screws (threaded full
length). Without looking up pages of parts book, I couldn't say offhand what
is needed where, but if you anticipate needing particular items, I'm happy
to do that, or you can look-up the parts book on the Samba website (did Russ
have one on the web, too?).

Really, think of which are important bolts/screws to get right (suspension,
engine, running gear), and buy those from a reputable place if you plan to
actually renew any. The OE German ones are probably still better quality
than the newer ones.  You really won't need many anyway, and it's not as if
you are re-using old bolts in an aircraft!

Dave
UK VW Type 3&4 Club