[T3] Horn Problem

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri Oct 24 10:20:16 PDT 2014

On 17 Oct 2014 at 18:28, J. Jonik wrote:

> 71 T III....

> Also, under the steering wheel, there's all this stuff linked to the
> turn signal.  But the two brass (or copper?) bent tabs on top both
> have worn crumbly holes smack in the middle. Could it be that they
> aren't making proper contact with the steering wheel?

Those spring contacts all wear thru and that's a problem with all the
'71-on horn circuits. The BIG problem occurs when the brass contact
ring on the underside of the steering wheel also wears thru and then
a piece of it will catch in one of the holes in the spring contacts,
grab it, and tear the contact completely off. This destroys the
switch.

I've been thinking of how I could do a lasting repair on these. I
have an idea, but I've not actually tried it yet. Someone who has a
worn, but not destroyed, switch, as well as time to do without it,
will need to send it to me so I can try to save it.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org