[T3] Tow my T3 update

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sat Oct 25 09:36:22 PDT 2014

On 25 Oct 2014 at 7:43, Tim Keohane wrote:

> I found the kick down solenoid wired direct to the + side of the
> distributer. Removed that and kick down issues quit. I found and
> installed a good switch and it is working as expected, kicks down when
> accelerated flat or up hill. I have 3 wires that were attached to the
> broken kick down switch that I am now tracing to see where they should
> attach. The engine runs well but not quite right. I'm thinking a
> sensor and or mis connected wire.

There should be 1 wire that brings 12 V from the coil to one terminal
of the kickdown switch. Then a second wire goes from the other
terminal of the kickdown switch to the kickdown solenoid connector on
the AT. There should only be 1 wire attached to each terminal of the
kickdown switch. Let us know what that third wire was.

> I adjusted and greased the torsion arms (twice) and that problem
> solved. I have a lower ball joint with a torn rubber boot, and now
> have a replacement for it. I will install it and get the front
> alignment checked/adjusted.

"That problem"? I don't remember what problem you were having that
greasing might have cured.

Installing a ball joint is a big job. You may want your alignment
shop to do it, but if you're up for it, it's certainly a possible
DIY. Be careful about the torsion bar tension that's there, as it
could hurt you if you're not prepared for it. ISTR that there's an
error in the Bentley in what to expect there, but it should all be
clear if you understand how the front axle beam works.

> The pressor sensor has been monkeyed with, so I'd like to ship it off
> to you for adjustment if thats O K. The small center screw is the only
> one exposed.

Okay, I can do that. Before you mail it, send me the Bosch part
number so we can be sure you have the right one. There are several
different versions, and by this time they've often gotten mixed up.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org