[T3] seats & adjustment cams

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sat Oct 25 14:52:30 PDT 2014

On 25 Oct 2014 at 10:09, Phil Hof wrote:

> I actually located a pair of NOS cams.  I have plans (still
> unfulfilled) to have them precision measured (perhaps with a CMM
> machine) so that we can build a solid model, which can then be shopped
> around to machine shops to have them made on a CNC machine, perhaps
> using a stronger material.

I doubt that there is anything so precise about those cams that you'd
need a CMM to make workable copies. I checked the parts list and
there are only 2 versions: left and right, one of each per seat. Even
if you got the cam levels wrong, they would still work perfectly as
long as you got both versions slightly "wrong" in exactly the same
way and replaced them in pairs.

Frankly, I don't think I've ever seen those cams fail, other than
have the roll pins fall out. The parts list shows those pins as 3 x
18, which could probably be replaced by 1/8 x 3/4, unless you find
the old pin still lying on the floor.

My guess is that those parts work just fine until they run into
someone who tries to adjust the seat and doesn't realize that it
works much better if they take their weight off the seat back first.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org