[T3] Sputtering and Bogging Down

Chris Sheridan cscsheridan at gmail.com
Tue Oct 7 07:05:51 PDT 2014

Okay Looks like this is the Troubleshooting Matrix:

Fuel Filter - Clogged  - Check and Not Clogged

Coil - Bad coil or bad lead   (Leads seem tight, will r&r coil if I have
one handy)

Pressure Sensor - does it hold vacuum?  (I have a gauge with a long hose I
will try this test)

Too Much Fuel - Spark Plugs wet?  (easy enough to pull one and check after
above test)

Too Little Fuel - Fill a Quart from Test Port with Stopwatch. Run the pump
by shorting 2 red wires under dash  (this sounds fun, should I buy more
Insurance first?)
Overflow Hose - Status?  (I bought the overflow kit last year but never
installed because the instructions don't really match what I see under the
hood. Furthermore, I never was able to get a good seal on the thick hose
from the tank to the filler pipe, If I put more than 4 gallons in at a time
it will pour down the passenger compartment wall when I make a left turn.
The reproduction rubber overflow hose and collar pieces that I bought
easily got torn up and distorted after being put into service. The whole
system is lacking in this area. I only put in 4 gallons at a time because I
never the the  inner seals to seal right.)

In terms of the bogging down on level ground - yes the condition is still
very much present however on level ground I can butterfly the gas pedal a
bit and continue to drive at speed - it just doesn't sound right - it
sounds chokish and stumbling - when driving around the neighborhood as I
get to the top of 2nd gear it starts to stumble before shifting up. If I
try to go up a hill - It immediately bogs and chokes alot - but I can still
climb the hill - just doesn't inspire any confidence to get back on the
highway.

Right now taking my bicycle the 10 miles each way to work so pretty tired
at night - will try to get through the above list before dark each night.

thanks,
Chris - 70 fback auto FI