[T3] sputtering and bogging down update

Chris Sheridan cscsheridan at gmail.com
Sun Oct 19 12:46:13 PDT 2014

Gary Forsmo did some fuel delivery tests with his fuel pump before
and after I rebuilt it. If he still has those numbers, you could
compare with them. The easiest way to do this would be to attach a
length of hose to the test port and time how long it takes to fill a
quart container. You run the pump by jumping across the pump
terminals at the pump relay, under the dash. Don't touch the white
connector, just jump between the 2 red wires.

I haven't tried this test yet. I would be interesting to know what his
numbers were so I could compare mine. I did just run a test where
I routed the fuel pressure gauge up to the drivers seat and repeated
the symptoms by driving the car around - same symptoms of bogging
down and choking/loss of power on the hill and symptoms to a lesser
extent on level ground toward the top of the rpm range. During the whole
test
the fuel pressure was at 28 ft pounds. There was not change at all in the
fuel pressure when repeating the symptoms.

I looked at my flaps guage and they are showing that they are opening,
though not quite as far as when I had on two springs. Car does seem to be
running a bit hot after only 10 minutes, though my flaps are definitely
opening so I don't want to write off the overheating to just the flaps,
something is telling me there is a 2nd cause which is causing the hot
running and bogging down. What does the vacuum pressure sensor do? someone
mentioned checking that. I have another used one to swap in, but is there a
reading I can take on the one in place first? I'll look in my book.

Chris
70 fastback at fi