[T3] Continued Tail Pipe and Starter topics...

J. Jonik j_jonik at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 23 16:29:03 PDT 2014

Continued from "tail pipe" and "starter" topics.....again, Std FI 73 engine.

"New" ok-tested starter in...even thought it's one from a 71 automatic. Word is that that's ok, and there will be more torque.       But car still won't start or even try.   Oil and Gen lights dim, usual fuel noises normal. (Turning engine at fan pulley...turns normally... No binding.)

Another thing un-noticed before:   Key on, tried the lights. They all work but are Very Dim...and the oil-gen lights on dash dim with lights on too.  That must mean something.  What failed component(s) would do that?

Also, before car died, there was static on the radio.  Coincidence...or a clue to something?

And, doing the screwdriver tests at solenoid...crossing the two big connections got only one tiny effort to turn....but then nothing.     Crossing hot connection to Ign. Switch connection got nothing.  Switch wire is on the tab that cannot be bent outwards....as the "idiot" VW book shows.  Is that correct?   The other tab, for "fuel injection", never had a wire attached.  No code numbers or letters near the two push-on connector tabs.

Earlier I tested ignition switch wire with test light.   Without help, I used a mirror to see the test light under the car while I turned the key.    Light was Nice and Bright...though I didn't measure voltage.  The book says voltage there should be over 7 v..some say 12 v is best.   I'll try to measure tomorrow.
Hmmm ------> Can a battery be bad even if all six cells measure to the top of "Good" range?
And...before all this, last week, while trying to get horn working, while replacing blown horn (etc) fuse, the fuse slipped and did sparks with the fuse next door...for "buzzer alarm".  Would that have shorted or burnt something out?
   Did I mess up the whole fuse box?  (Horn still doesn't work.)

And--- I have some solenoids from past standard shift starters.  The starters are apart (forget why), but I didn't disassemble the solenoids.    Should I just put one of them onto the starter I just pulled out?  (That "machine gun" noise at test of hot connection to Ign wire proved the solenoid was bad, right?...even though the starter spun nicely when crossing the big terminals.)
A job for Sherlock Holmes Auto Repair?