[T3] 2016 Invasion Location

Shannon Jacobs shannonj84 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 2 10:41:55 PDT 2014

June is pretty hot in Arizona.  What about March, September, or October?  Bug~O~Rama Phoenix is usually in March, September there is Jerome Jamboree in Jerome, October is big for Bugtoberfest in Tucson and Volkstock in Phoenix.  I live in Sierra Vista, the weather is nice all year round and it is pretty in the fall :)

On Saturday, August 30, 2014 6:41 PM, Adriel Rowley <adriel_rowley at hotmail.com> wrote:

> From: topnotch at nycap.rr.com
> To: type3 at vwtype3.org
> Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2014 23:26:16 -0400
> Subject: Re: [T3] 2016 Invasion Location
>
> I was in Arizona almost 40 years ago, be great to return, some very scenic
> areas as you state in the North but yea, desert, driving thru the heat again
> means timing would be critical, get the salt off the roads here in the north
> but not hot yet in the southwest...

I have seen some, but I really need to get to the Payson area and see it. I have a friend that is Ember's boyfriend's parent so another reason to go. ;p I live in such a beatific area and haven't seen much; even locally I find scenery. I told my Brother if he came here in just half a day we could cruise and see all sorts of sites!

It isn't just Arizona. I would consider Idaho and Montana also desert, but they are more mild I.I.R.C. Basically if the Invasion is going to be in the West a good chance of desert crossing for both of us. It doesn't start to get warm until at least late May here. This year was mild and only had a few spells of triple digits. So yes, late June we would have triple digits to traverse through. However, at least it is a dry heat so a wet towel does wonders. ;p That reminds me, I forgot about the cool wrap I had for the dog... Hmmm, I should find that...

> Quandry I have is the stock engine in the Square refuses to give up, 141K on
> it now and by then, if it lasts, it would be around 150K, thats too much to
> drive thru the heat of the mid/southwest, BUT... if the T4 is back in there
> by then Ill have the Setrab oil cooler on it and I may be fine temp wise.

Well, the engine does have two more years to go out. ;p The opposite is also true: I wouldn't trust a brand new engine for a desert crossing. Now I am understanding.

I remember all the trouble you had with the type 4; do you really trust it for that long of a distance? I would think the 1600c.c. be better in that you have more understanding and better parts availability?

> Of course, Ill need to get the time to drive cross country again... havent
> missed one yet though.

Yes, time! We will have to see about that. The closer we get, the more we know! ;p

Thank you so very much!
Adriel

1971 Sunroof Squareback with F.I. - In the Process of Being Dog Wgn 2
1985 Mercedes-Benz 300TD-T - Dog Wgn
Master's Student, A.S.U., living in north central Mesa, AZ