[T3] A little more about my '71 column problem

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon Sep 8 09:01:02 PDT 2014

On 6 Sep 2014 at 22:46, Phil Hof wrote:

> I posted some pics on the Samba about my problem with my ´71 steering column housing and ignition switch.
> http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=606340

I believe the key here is that the insulated bearing was used up thru
'70, then the non-insulated bearing started in '71, so the housing on
the left must be '70 or earlier, or it was used on some year of
Beetle. The insulated vs. non-insulated bearing was due to the change
in the horn circuit. It turns out that I have one of each in my stash
and I'd never noticed the difference. Unfortunately I don't remember
where the insulated bearing housing came from. I'm surprised that
there were insulated bearing housings that included the little
plastic holder for the ign sw connectors, but maybe they just used
long wires and ignored that special little rectangular chamber for
the special '71 system. I have little experience with '70s, so I
don't know if that housing was used then.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org