[T3] A little more about my '71 column problem

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Sep 10 21:02:57 PDT 2014

On 6 Sep 2014 at 22:46, Phil Hof wrote:

> I posted some pics on the Samba about my problem with my ´71 steering
> column housing and ignition switch.

> http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=606340
>
> Anyone know what year the left-hand column housing is for?  I have a
> couple of them that aren´t going to do me any good, and I´m happy to
> share with someone who needs "it"... but I don´t `now what "it" is for!

I've done a little more studying of the parts lists, and it's clear
that the housing with the insulated bearing would have to be from a
'70 or earlier. Everything points to the housing in the left hand
photo being from a '70. I don't have a '70 here to look at, but Gary
Forsmo's '69 is in my driveway now and it does not have that space
for the special plastic connector that I THINK only '71s used. All
the parts related to the insulated bearing changed at the beginning
of '71, except for the bearing snap ring, and that has to be a
mistake in the parts list.

If one of you has a '70 you can look at, look at the bottom end of
the steering column housing, where the wires come out, and tell me if
there are just wires coming out in a vinyl sheath, or if there is a
black plastic connector, that you can unplug, high up on the lower
right side, that has 4-5 wires in it.

According to the parts list, the '70 housing is also a one year only
part. Maybe it actually used that connector for the ignition switch
wires, or maybe they were just thinking about it but didn't get
around to it until '71. I'm guessing the latter, because everyone's
parts list shows the same, long wire, ign switch used from '68 thru
'70.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org