[T3] A little more about my '71 column problem

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Sep 11 19:38:19 PDT 2014

On 6 Sep 2014 at 22:46, Phil Hof wrote:

> I posted some pics on the Samba about my problem with my ´71 steering
> column housing and ignition switch.

> http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=606340
>
> Anyone know what year the left-hand column housing is for?  I have a
> couple of them that aren´t going to do me any good, and I´m happy to
> share with someone who needs "it"... but I don´t `now what "it" is for!

John Logli just sent me a photo of his '70 steering column. It has
the ign sw connector that I thought was unique to '71s. That's also
consistent with '70s also having a unique housing. Since it has that
connector, it must also use the ign sw which we all thought was
unique to '71s. Actually, it looks like they are different unique
switches: Only '71 got the extra contact for the buzzer, but they
should both have the short wires with the male contacts attached.

The VW parts list doesn't show this correctly. It shows the same
switch being used from '68 thru '70, then the "unique" '71 switch
being used for 1 year only.

So the left housing in the photo, the one with the insulated bearing,
is from a '70, and the right one is from a '71. Both are one year
only designs.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org