[T3] Front axle beam question

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Sep 11 08:17:48 PDT 2014

On 11 Sep 2014 at 11:25, Dave Hall wrote:

> I've sent you a scan of the Haynes diagram, which confirms your measurement.
> It also looks like the same drawing as the Bentley!  Not much help, then.
> OTOH, why should there need to be a gap between them?

Yes, this looks like the same drawing, but without any installation
tolerances in the dimensions.

The Bentley gives a dimension of 4.5-5.5 mm, which would permit some
amount of impossible overlap. 5 mm might be okay, but the seal I
measured seems to be 5+ mm wide. OTOH, the dimension given for the
upper needle bearing allows for a minimum of 1 mm of clearance, which
gives some tolerance for assembly variation and seems perfectly
reasonable.

There are VW special tools for installing these parts. Does your
collection of tool drawings include VW273C (Type 3 lower) and VW273D
(Type 3 upper)? If so, those would contain the correct dimensions.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org