[T3] 2016 Invasion Location

John Jaranson john at carartbyjohn.com
Sat Sep 13 19:16:25 PDT 2014

On Sep 13, 2014, at 10:00 PM, Adriel Rowley wrote:

> What are the requirements for such a position?

Funny you should ask.....was getting ready to post this next.

******************

Dave Pallo took the time to do a little write-up about what it takes to host an Invasion to help those that might be on the fence about it decide.  The following is Dave's write-up with a few things added by me....

For people who are thinking about possibly hosting a Type 3 Invasion, this write-up is basically what would be required to host one.

To start with - the focus of the Type 3 Invasions is to show up at a smallish town, meet other Type 3 people with a common interest, enjoy building a kindred bond with said other people, enjoy each other’s company and cars, maybe even learn something new at one of the tech sessions, and most of all, just relax! The Invasion is NOT a judged car show. Just a friendly gathering of Type 3 owners and possibly their cars too.

We typically hold an Invasion around mid to late June, as this is after school is over for the summer, yet mid-summer vacations have not started.

In order to host an Invasion, there are minimum requirements that we would ask for, and then depending on how much more of an event you would like your invasion to be; there are suggestions we can offer without getting away from the focus of our Invasions.

INVASION SITE:
The first responsibility of the host would be to reserve an area where we would hold the Invasion on a Saturday and Sunday. This area should have places available where we could park our Type 3’s somewhat together so photo opportunity’s would present themselves. THE optimum location is a town park setting that has tall trees where we and our cars would be parked under the shade trees for the day…. but shade is not a “must” requirement. We like a place that is not busy with other activities (like soccer or baseball fields) since our event is all about the Type 3 attendees and not the general public. Having an outdoor pavilion is also a huge plus. Since there are no weather guarantees; a pavilion gives us all the ability to get out of the sun or rain. Also, we hold Type 3 specific tech sessions at various times throughout the day, and being under a pavilion and out of the elements for these sessions is very welcomed. We also require nearby bathroom facility’s since we will be parked there all day.

SATURDAY NIGHT DINNER
Another thing we like to do is have a Saturday night dinner planned for our Invasion attendees. The most common plan has been to make reservations at a local restaurant that has the ability to hold a group of our size, which could be around 50 people or so. All we require from the host is the reservation at a place that has good food and big enough to hold us. Every attendee is responsible for paying for their meals. Besides eating together, another perk of having a Saturday evening dinner plan is that we usually have a Type 3 cruise to the restaurant, and possibly another cruise back to the host hotel!

HOST HOTEL AND CAMPING
Since most of the attendees will be coming from out of town, we will need a place to sleep. As a host, you would research what hotels are in the area, and see if you can get us a group discount at one hotel. Most hotels are very willing to provide a group rate, as this helps their business, and we all get to stay in the same hotel too. We tend to hang out by our cars in the evening hours, and therefore talk about and tinker with our Type 3’s. At past Invasions - we have performed motor swaps, clutch replacements, and engine tunings in the hotel parking lots, so the host hotel has become another fun aspect of an Invasion weekend! We don’t want an expensive posh hotel, but we also don’t want a dive either. Something in-between would work great! Also, there are usually some Invasion attendees that prefer to camp out rather than stay in a hotel, so locating a campground in the area for these campers is a big plus.

That is the minimum requirements to host an Invasion.

BONUS STUFF:
For many of the Invasions, there also has been what we call a “early bird” dinner held on the prior Thursday evening. Since the Friday prior to the Invasion is usually an open day to do as you please, most out of town Invaders like to arrive on Thursday in order to get all checked in and car unloaded, thereby leaving Friday free to explore the area. Having this “early bird” dinner gives Invaders a chance to meet and possibly coordinate plans for things to do on Friday. This Thursday dinner has been as simple as reservations held at a different local restaurant, and it has also been a cookout held at the hosts home. Either way will work with this group!

As I said, Friday is usually a free day, but this day also presents itself as an opportunity to do a group function if you wish. At past Invasions, one Friday had a planned cruise thru The Redwoods, and another Invasion had a planned Type 3 caravan of Type 3’s driving Watkins Glen Raceway. Your call as the host – you can offer a planned event on Friday or not. Either way will work with this group!

So you see, it is really doesn't have to be too much work for the local hosts.  I will do the Invasion website, the T-shirts, and the awards and stuff like I have always done.

So who is going to step and offer to host the 2016 Invasion...preferably in the Southwestern part of the country.

Later,
John Jaranson
www.carartbyjohn.com