[T3] fuel gauge and gauge light fluctuating

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon Sep 22 07:12:50 PDT 2014

David,

I believe you should add a ground wire to your lamp base, one way or
the other. Either way should work equally well, so pick the way that
seems easiest for you. I would not try to trim the dash pad. Adding
the ground wire should make the retaining spring ground redundant and
unnecessary. I've never seen a problem with any of the lamp bases.

The "ground" post on the back only connects the ground on the lamp
base to the body of the gauge unit. It assures that both parts are at
the same potential. You still need some means to make sure that those
parts are actually connected to the body of the car, hence the ground
via the spring clips or the ground via an extra ground wire.

Once you do that, it sounds like you MAY discover that there is a
remaining problem. That's not clear at this point, but you'll never
find it as long as you have the compounding ground problem.

Do you know yet why the lamp base does not want to seat all the way
against the back of the gauge body? That seems odd. You should be
able to pull BOTH of these out of the dash together and examine them
directly and see what's interfering.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org