[T3] fuel gauge and gauge light fluctuating

David Yaghoubian goob at roadrunner.com
Mon Sep 22 19:58:43 PDT 2014

Many thanks for the responses Jim. Sorry I was unclear... but I am still
confused about the terminology, so let's quickly go over it. By "retaining
spring ground" are you talking about the two metal tabs on the sides of the
gauge that fit into the two horizontally-located slots and (I assume) are
intended to push past the dash and seat behind it (?) ... or by "retaining
spring" are you talking about the wire ring around the gauge that, in my
situation, would not make contact with the metal dash due to the dash pad
material.

The two tabs/springs are what will not seat correctly (insofar as I can't
seem to push the gauge in far enough to get them to pop out behind the
dash), not the lamp base, which was a bit loose, but otherwise fits nice and
tight after I tightened up the push-on connectors.

Installing my other lamp base with the #31 tab (and grouding that, of
course) will enable me to leave the gauge easily removable and I won't have
to cut and fit to get the gauge grounded, so I think I will carefully do
that. Oh how paranoid I am about frying or messing up this original wiring,
but this exchange is not T3 rocket science (like vent wing seal replacement
;) but the task it clear, and the results sound very promising.

One last question... on the right upper side of my '71 lamp base there is an
unnumbered brass tab that does not have a connector. Jim can you confirm
that this is how it is supposed to be and that this one is not missing a
tab?

Thanks again,

Dave
68 sqbk