[T3] fuel gauge and gauge light fluctuating

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue Sep 23 10:32:25 PDT 2014

On 22 Sep 2014 at 19:58, David Yaghoubian wrote:

> Many thanks for the responses Jim. Sorry I was unclear... but I am still
> confused about the terminology, so let's quickly go over it. By "retaining
> spring ground" are you talking about the two metal tabs on the sides of the
> gauge that fit into the two horizontally-located slots and (I assume) are
> intended to push past the dash and seat behind it (?)

Yes

> The two tabs/springs are what will not seat correctly (insofar as I can't
> seem to push the gauge in far enough to get them to pop out behind the
> dash), not the lamp base, which was a bit loose, but otherwise fits nice and
> tight after I tightened up the push-on connectors.

Okay, the gauges were quite a tight fit when the dashes were new, but
over time the vinyl shrunk. Your replacement dash may also be exactly
correct for a different year. They got thicker there in '71

> One last question... on the right upper side of my '71 lamp base there is an
> unnumbered brass tab that does not have a connector. Jim can you confirm
> that this is how it is supposed to be and that this one is not missing a
> tab?

Just looking at a late lamp base here, I see a tab on the upper
right, just under the letters: VDO. There's no number, but there's
the letter G, and that tab leads to one of the 3 interconnecting pins
and to nothing else. My guess is that this is where the gas gauge
sender wire would go.

The Bentley shows a brown wire going from the sender to terminal G on
the lamp base. If that wire has fallen off, it's possible that it was
loose before and that explains part of your symptoms.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org