[T3] whistling gen belt

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sat Sep 27 15:47:10 PDT 2014

On 27 Sep 2014 at 14:59, Phil Hof wrote:

> My whislting belt issue was resolved.  I did two things, not hacking
> time to do the separately.  First was replacing the pulley halves with
> another used pair that was not nearly as worn.  The second was to use
> a different belt, one that had no cogs on the inner surface.  It´s
> quiet now, though I have my cracked but functional original as a
> backup with me.  Odd size¦ 11x990mm.  The 11 is a little wide, and the
> 990 shorter than the spec of 1000, but the 10x1000 was WAY too loose.
> The 10x1000, by the way, was cogged and labelled for a 6V Type 3.
> Odd, since VW says 9.5x1000 is the correct 12V part.

There may be something odd about the 10 x 1000 that you got, because
the 9.5 x 1000s that I've always used fit perfectly. 9.5 mm is almost
exactly 3/8", so my guess is that our belts are actually 3/8" x 1000
mm, with some makers marking these as 9.5 x 1000 and some rounding up
to 10 x 1000.

On this same note, 1000 mm is 1 m, which is 39.37", which explains
why 3/8 x 39.5" belts work pretty well.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org