[T3] whistling gen belt

Phil Hof phil.hof at ostronic.org
Sat Sep 27 14:59:56 PDT 2014

My whislting belt issue was resolved.  I did two things, not hacking time to do the separately.  First was replacing the pulley halves with another used pair that was not nearly as worn.  The second was to use a different belt, one that had no cogs on the inner surface.  It’s quiet now, though I have my cracked but functional original as a backup with me.  Odd size… 11x990mm.  The 11 is a little wide, and the 990 shorter than the spec of 1000, but the 10x1000 was WAY too loose.  The 10x1000, by the way, was cogged and labelled for a 6V Type 3.  Odd, since VW says 9.5x1000 is the correct 12V part.
-Phil