[T3] Flexible steering coupler

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Thu Apr 30 10:03:52 PDT 2015

In a message dated 4/30/15 11:23:47 AM Central Daylight Time,
dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk writes:

> Any tips on this job?
>
>  BTW, the nuts and bolts are actually M8 but with 14mm heads and nyloc
nuts,
>  and have Beetle part numbers.  You learn something new every day.

Dave, the best advice for replacing the coupler rubber, is to do it with
the tank out. Yes, the back might complain, but you can get a better purchase
on the nuts and bolts. Yes, what you've found is something I've run across
myself. In fact on the early cars (thru 64) VW actually used castle nuts and
cotter pins on those bolts. :O  Same 14mm size though. Thought the small
cotter pins were really out of place, but then that's 1 area you don't want
anything coming loose. ;-)
Also, make sure the coupler you get has the cloth inside it, as quite a few
of these are now being made without it. And when they start to crack, they
fail completely, leaving you with very little steering. Just a heads up, and
I hope this helps.
Bob</HTML>