[T3] Dash fresh air vents

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Sun Aug 23 22:43:34 PDT 2015

On 23 Aug 2015 at 20:18, Ralph Tree wrote:

> Yes, it's a 71 and it looks like everything is there and in nice shape
> except for the tubes that go from the air box to the vents in the
> dash.

Those aren't the ~1" dia bellows tubes that are long. Those are the
ducts for the heated defroster air to feed from the corners to the
center. You need the molded plastic pieces (I think 2 pieces on each
side) that start and end round, but have squarish elbow sections in
the middle. They are really hard to figure out, but they wrap around
and over the radio. IIRC, at least one of them has a short bellows
section in the middle.

They are often missing or mis-installed, simply because they are so
odd and so hard to figure out how to put them back properly, but they
DO fit. I'm sure I have them if you don't, but chances are that
you're got them and just have to play with them until you find the
combination/permutation that works.

Good luck!  ;-)

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org