[T3] Type 3 oil cooler tin piece

Soren Jacobsen snj at blef.org
Thu Dec 3 02:42:43 PST 2015

On 12/02 12:46, Jim Adney wrote:
> On 2 Dec 2015 at 10:00, Phil Ostronic wrote:
>
> > There is a small tin piece that goes on the block before the oil
> > cooler and its bolts are fitted.  On a Bug this has been nicknamed
> > the "Hoover Bit."  The shape is different but the idea is the same,
> > to seal the cooler better.
> >
> > However, after seeing an ad for the part on the Samba, specifically
> > for a T3, I figured I was wrong.  I am buying the part, and my
> > builder is on hold waiting for it. However, I've read that very
> > early Type 3 motors used a Type 1 steel cooler with an adapter.

The really early type 3s don't use type 1 coolers.  They are a similar
design, but a bit different.

T1: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1836326
T3: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1859581

> It may have been used with the steel Bug cooler, but it was definitely
> used with the mid-version of the Type 3 cooler that was installed up
> thru the end of the '69 model year. It's only used now if you have a
> case with 8 mm holes mated with a cooler with 8 mm holes.

Ahh, interesting.  I didn't know that VW ditched that deflector plate in
the later years.

Here's the next twist in the story: for engines that use the "normal"
type 3 oil cooler, there are early and late deflector plates.  In
mid-1966 the case changed, and a new deflector plate was introduced to
accommodate the new case's shape.  The later deflector can be used on
early cases, but an early deflector only fits early cases.  If you're
big on originality, early deflector plates are, sadly, quite scarce.  It
took me a few years to find one to go with my 1965 case.

Soren