[T3] Type 3 oil cooler tin piece

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Wed Dec 2 10:46:29 PST 2015

On 2 Dec 2015 at 10:00, Phil Ostronic wrote:

> There is a small tin piece that goes on the block before the oil
> cooler and its bolts are fitted.  On a Bug this has been nicknamed the
> "Hoover Bit."  The shape is different but the idea is the same, to
> seal the cooler better.

> However, after seeing an ad for the part on the Samba, specifically
> for a T3, I figured I was wrong.  I am buying the part, and my builder
> is on hold waiting for it. However, I've read that very early Type 3
> motors used a Type 1 steel cooler with an adapter.  Maybe this tin
> piece was only used for those?

It may have been used with the steel Bug cooler, but it was
definitely used with the mid-version of the Type 3 cooler that was
installed up thru the end of the '69 model year. It's only used now
if you have a case with 8 mm holes mated with a cooler with 8 mm
holes.

If you have a very early engine with the steel cooler, I'm not sure.
Someone else will have to answer for that era.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org