[T3] Shift coupler differences

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Tue Dec 15 06:18:09 PST 2015

On 15 Dec 2015 at 3:25, Soren Jacobsen wrote:

> On 12/14 21:10, Jim Adney wrote:

> > On 14 Dec 2015 at 15:28, Soren Jacobsen wrote:
> >
> > > Now if I could just find a couple spare clips for the early coupler, and
> > > maybe a better set of early rubber pieces (metal bushing instead of
> > > plastic)...
> >
> > The clips look just like the ones that are also used to secure the
> > anchors on the bottom end of the retaining cables for the back seat
> > bottom on the late squarebacks (or was it the earlier
> > squarebacks...?) Whichever it was, I think I have a couple.
>
> Are you referring to the eyelet on the cable where it attaches to the
> car body via a pin?  That was on later Squarebacks (the earlier ones
> just use e-clips).  These are the same as the clip that holds the roller
> wheel on the accelerator pedal lever (the piece that the throttle cable
> attaches to).  The clip on the shift coupler is considerably larger,
> unfortunately.  I do wonder if it shows up elsewhere in VW land,
> though...

Some of the pivot pins in squareback rear door hinges have a similar
clip. Would those be the larger ones you're looking for? What's the
OD of the shift coupler pin?

> Thinking about rear seat clips reminds me of another item I need: an
> e-clip that fits the arms (parts list calls them pivot rods -- the
> pieces that attach to the side of the car body) of the rear seat
> backrest.  Most Squarebacks had pressed-in retaining pins that hold the
> arms on, but early seats have a fixed rod sticking out and an e-clip.
> Nice if you, for some strange reason, need to replace one of those arms,
> but a drag if one of your car's previous owners lost a clip decades ago.
> Anyway, I don't expect anyone to have one of these clips on hand, but
> hey, there's a little bit of trivia for you all.

What's the diameter of the pin these fit on? I might have some that
would fit. Standard metric E-clips are also available from generic
sources, like McMaster-Carr, but you'd have to buy 50-100.

> > Did all the earlier cars get this style shift coupling? I've never
> > seen that style, but I've worked on very few early cars.
>
> Cars prior to VIN 221975 (early August 1963) had the round Bug style
> coupler, like this: http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/998660.jpg

Nope, never saw one of those, either.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org